1 cup Daawat Quick Cook Brown Rice
3 cup water (1 cup for soaking + 2 cups for cooking)
2 onions, sliced
4-5 cloves garlic chopped
One pinch saffron strands
3 tablespoons milk (or water for soaking saffron)
1 bay leaf
1 small cinnamon stick
¼ cup green peas
1 tsp garam masala powder
2 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp paprika powder
½ cup barberries
½ cup cashews, toasted
¼ cup coriander, chopped
1 tbsp lemon Juice
3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt as required
1. Rinse the rice well and soak in water for 60 minutes after which drain and keep aside.
2. Soak the saffron in the warm milk (or water) and keep aside.
3. Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a pot and add the bayleaf and cinnamon stick. When they start sizzling, add the garlic and sauté for another 3-4 seconds.
4. Add the drained rice, stir on high heat for a few seconds. Add the garam masala, cumin and paprika powders. Add 2 cups of water, the soaked saffron along with the soaking liquid and salt to taste.
5. Cover the pan and lower the heat. Simmer till the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked through. Add in the lemon juice at the end.
6. In a separate pan, heat the rest of the butter. Add the sliced onions and sauté on medium heat till they are soft and caramelize into a deep brown colour.
7. Stir periodically to make sure they don’t burn. Add in the green peas.
8. Mix together the onions and rice. Add in the coriander, barberries and cashews, saving a little of each to garnish.
9. Place the rice in a serving platter, sprinkle the rest of the cashews and barberries, and coriander leaves to finish.